Travelers (TRV) Q4 Earnings: Taking a Look at Key Metrics Versus Estimates
Travelers (TRV) reported $9.63 billion in revenue for the quarter ended December 2022, representing a year-over-year increase of 7.6%. EPS of $3.40 for the same period compares to $5.20 a year ago.
The reported revenue compares to the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $9.61 billion, representing a surprise of +0.19%. The company has not delivered EPS surprise, with the consensus EPS estimate being $3.40.
While investors closely watch year-over-year changes in headline numbers -- revenue and earnings -- and how they compare to Wall Street expectations to determine their next course of action, some key metrics always provide a better insight into a company's underlying performance.
Since these metrics play a crucial role in driving the top- and bottom-line numbers, comparing them with the year-ago numbers and what analysts estimated about them helps investors better project a stock's price performance.
Here is how Travelers performed in the just reported quarter in terms of the metrics most widely monitored and projected by Wall Street analysts:
- Loss and loss adjustment expense ratio: 66.6% versus the five-analyst average estimate of 64.2%.
- Combined Ratio - Insurance Segment (Underwriting Ratios): 96.2% compared to the 93.5% average estimate based on five analysts.
- Underwriting expense ratio: 27.9% versus 28.67% estimated by five analysts on average.
- Total revenues-Net investment income: $625 million versus $623.40 million estimated by five analysts on average. Compared to the year-ago quarter, this number represents a -15.9% change.
- Total revenues-Fee income: $105 million versus the five-analyst average estimate of $104.27 million. The reported number represents a year-over-year change of +5%.
- Total revenues-Net premiums earned: $8.82 billion versus $8.81 billion estimated by five analysts on average. Compared to the year-ago quarter, this number represents a +9.9% change.
- Total revenues-Other Revenues: $82 million versus $83.40 million estimated by five analysts on average. Compared to the year-ago quarter, this number represents a -4.7% change.
View all Key Company Metrics for Travelers here>>>
Continue read on nasdaq.com