54-Year-Old Man Dies After Eating Raw Oysters From Suburban St. Louis Stand
MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) A 54-year-old man died after eating raw oysters from a seafood stand in the St. Louis suburb of Manchester, health officials announced Friday.
Officials are urging the public to dispose of any oysters purchased recently from the business.
The culprit in Thursday's death is the Vibrio bacteria, which doesnt make an oyster look, smell, or taste any different. The oysters were probably already contaminated when they arrived at the stand, St. Louis County Public Health said in a news release. The man had eaten them sometime in the past week.