Shock after child, 6, dies in school Strep A outbreak as antibiotics handed out
A community has been left in shock after a six-year-old child died in a Strep A outbreak at a primary school.
The pupil, who was in Year One at the Surrey school, has not yet been named.
Both Ashford Church of England School and the local council expressed their sadness at the death.
Another child developed the same illness - which comes from a bacterial infection - and was recovering, the school told parents in an email.
The death of the pupil was confirmed by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) South Easts health protection consultant Dr Claire Winslade.
She said antibiotics have been recommended to students and staff in the same year groups as affected pupils as a precautionary measure.
An email from the school to parents, obtained by the PA news agency, said: It is with the deepest regret and sadness that I have to inform you that a child in Tiger class, year one has sadly died after developing invasive Group A streptococcal (IGAS).
Continue read on independent.co.uk